Wednesday, July 28, 2010

3-D ALREADY ON WAY OUT (?)

As reported in CNN "Fortune", 3-D movies are already slipping.

I am not surprised. 3-D is simply not ready. The picture is mud.

A couple of people have told me that they found Avatar (and its image) to be "immersive". Never have I been so aware that I am watching an image on a screen... one which is dark, soft, and non-immersive. Not unlike a chain smoker wanting to pull out a fag in a non-smoking area, my hand kept going up to my conversion glasses to pull them off my face.

A few years ago I read that a lot of people walk around with less than adequate vision. These must be the ones who do not notice how crappy the 3-D image is.

At the risk of sounding like a Gerry Todd, you need 16 foot-lamberts to make good movie projection (in a theatre).


CNN report...
http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/27/technology/3D_technology_dying.fortune/

2 comments:

Greg Woods said...

Does the DVD of Avatar come with glasses, or is it 2D? Just curious....

Barry Smight said...

Right now it is just the 2-D version. 3-D to come. James Cameron, being the technical guy he is, explained when the DVD came out as to why the picture seems to be so much brighter 'at home'. It's because you are not filtering back the light with the glasses.

Friends have told me that they will now only see a 3-D release in a 2-D venue. (This is touched upon in the linked article.)

I'm the same, not only is it cheaper, but the picture is a lot better.