Wednesday, November 28, 2007

BLADE RUNNER IN RUNNING

Blade Runner continues to be debated today: That is whether or not it is a good movie, or how great of a movie it is. Of course, it is subjective.

In addition to the comments posted to my blog, "Blade Runner, Final", I have received some in my e-mail box. In a chat with an old friend of mine (since high school) we both took our positions. We dug in, as it were -- it was fun but it demonstarted how there are two camps.

Unless I didn't make it clear, I think that Blade Runner is a better than average picture -- most movies are not very good, no matter how valiantly they try -- but not the classic that some say it is.

A few years ago I saw Elwy Yost say, on his show, Saturday Night at the Movies, and I kid you not, he said this to his guest when talking about our devisive little flick, "... one of the great movies of all time".

Hey, who am I to argue with Elwy Yost?

5 comments:

Larry Smight said...

BR's a good film (better in it's final incarnation) but not a great film. I still think it lacks character development, and the love story, even though there is no longer a "happy ending" still seems tacked on. There's just no chemistry between Deckard and Rachael. Being that they are both replicants, perhaps this is intentional. In any case, it's subplot that doesn't work very well.

Greg Woods said...

Well I've only seen the original video version (itself different from the theatrical version) all the way through. The director's cut without the narration just felt like a chamber piece, and I couldn't finish it. To me it was like the Beatles' "Let It Be... Naked".... without Billy Preston's keyboard? Uh-uh. I like the narration, actually despite that I think it is the most uncinematic device in all of film history-- here it worked-- added to the pulp noir feel, and I didn't think the tacked-on ending was real-- it felt dreamlike to me.

And I agree with Neil's post about the lack of character development-- this film as a whole is no masterpiece, but truthfully, I'd still watch the movie any day of the week just for atmosphere alone. Watching a Ridley Scott movie for anything other than atmosphere is like watching an Altman film for a plot, or buying Playboy for the crossword puzzle.

Barry Smight said...

Careful... I have been known to buy Playboy for the crossword puzzle. Or, is it for the atmosphere? Can't remember.

Jawsphobia said...

I seem to remember posting remarks here about the film being flawed.

It is. If you like, we can limit the definition of "flaw" to the list of items provided by Ridley Scott, like some dirty opticles and other considerations that came from the unusual final crunch of post production.

I am sure the final incarnation can't be any worse, but it likely doesn't take advantage of some excellent opporunities to improve the scene transitions and overall flow.

Barry Smight said...

You did post comment about "film being flawed"... on the previous blog posting, BLADE RUNNER, FINAL.

Barry