Thursday, November 1, 2007

MENEGON'S OP

One of my local (Toronto) filmmaking heroes is a guy by the name of Dominic Menegon. He has earned this distinction as Dom has touched a couple of the bases in his run around the ball diamond. First film I saw of his is a science fiction feature film called Crossover (1993). While obviously very low budget and a little rough around the edges -- and even in the center at times -- the fact is he made this film, with his friend John Mokedanz, and obtained a little distribution for it.

The second film I saw of his is a little WW2 epic short film entitled, First Op (1999). Actually, it is because of this film that I first met Dom; he dropped by a mutual friend's office to check in on some work that was being done for the production. (This was a couple of years before he got it finished.)

I was introduced to Dom with the note that he was making a film about a RCAF Lancaster bomber raid. Immediately I was impressed by someone who was making a film about a bombing operation, with its technical and production complications.

While First Op is dramatically crude its narrative idea is compelling enough: Will the crew survive? There is a lot of talking which makes it feel Hollywood; and not terribly authentic. Needless chatter was verboten.

Dom executed all of the visual effects. He went back to school and completed a course on Digital Imaging. While there is that video game look, circa 1999, generating these shots on computer allowed such imaginings on a tiny budget. Just a few (few) years earlier and it would have been a no go.

Dom got the film done. And that counts for a lot. He also achieved this feat without any government funding. Kudos!

Tonight, I rewatched First Op for the first time in a while. My respect is maintained.

In the summer of 1999, the CBC played First Op on their Canadian Reflections series. Previously, I had tried to pawn off my own production and the Reflections producer turned me down; so the fact that Dom sold his short to the screening series impressed me even more.

You should check these two films out if you care, like I do, about independent filmmakers who get their projects done.

I eagerly await Dominic Menegon's next endeavours...

No comments: