Saturday, November 17, 2007

SOMETHING'S RIGHT

On Thursday I posted "It's Loonie See!". This was a take on the state of affairs on Canada's film business, or lack of; a perspective from someone who does not work in the business which allows me to get a little too honest or objective... I hope.

I had a coffee with a good friend of mine, and one who does work in the biz, where the whole subject came up. He is now waiting for his next gig but hopes something will turn up in the new year. What I found interesting, and I have discussed this with him before, so I can't claim ignorance, is that he too feels the whole (Toronto film and tv) business has to explode and rebuild. Casting off and out a lot of characters in the process. He feels there are too many jokers who are in film and television who should not be. And are in for the wrong reasons. As impressing, or at least trying to, others with the fact that they work in the film and television business. Pretty impressive.

(By the way, I should add that this friend is genuinely talented and has worked full time in his discipline for over ten years now -- has never had to take an outside job. So it ain't a case of sour grapes the reason he's talking this trash talk.)

Certainly Los Angeles must have a bit of the same career mix of characters but at least they do have an industry down there.

They must be doing something right.

A bit of a non sequitur: This past Wednesday I was walking down Spadina Avenue (here in Toronto), at Bloor Street, to do some business. As I passed in front of three parked classic yellow school buses, I was all but swarmed by a bunch of very lovely, and tall, young women... I guessed they were about to board the buses. One of them, very warmly, offered, "I hope you have a wonderful day".

I stopped immediately -- no surprise, eh? -- and replied to a comment which just had to be dealt with, "thank you... where are you from?" Another answered, "we're from Cambridge (Ontario, Canada)".

I must be doing something right.

If I wasn't over twice their age I would move there immediately.

Are all Cambridge-ites so nice?

There is definitely something in the drinking water...

No comments: