Monday, November 5, 2007

COSELL'S BANANAS

Any film with Howard Cosell playing himself is an instant classic. He opens up Woody Allen's Bananas by covering live, from South American banana republic San Marcos, the assassination of "El Presidente". Cosell's patented crawling manner of speaking, along with the association of him covering similar but less catastrophic events for ABC's Wide World of Sports, makes the onscreen proceedings come across as comical; to the extreme. His characteristic deadpan delivery helps. (Apparently, Allen allowed Cosell to improvise his lines.)

There is no one like him.

One thing that struck me watching Bananas again after so much time has passed since the last viewing -- the first was as a double feature with Sleeper back in 1974 -- is how nothing has really changed. Allen makes pointed remarks about U.S. foreign policy with this strip of celluloid. I could imagine that if he was able to make this film post-9/11 (and had managed to secure funding) he would be accused of being unpatriotic and anti-American.

Of course Woody Allen hates the United States of America. Didn't you know?

Proof: Woody, as Fielding Mellish, is approached by San Marcos revolutionaries to become the new El Presidente. Woody just does not feel comfortable with the position. He suggests that they give him the role of Vice President instead. "Now there's a real idiot's job!"

Bananas has a wonderful Marvin Hamlish score. It's all very hummable. I'm not a big Hamlish fan but the man can surprise me. The title song, done in a very Latin American style, compliments the marquee-like opening titles.

Before long, Allen would often depend on old jazz tunes to track the audio portion.

Another surprise for me: I had forgotten how short it is. Being consistently funny, although I admit I have seen it far too many times to laugh as loud as I was known to do, helps make Bananas fly by.

Like Take the Money and Run, Sleeper, and Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex, Bananas is more a bunch of filmed gags as opposed to real cinema. That would change when he teamed up with cinematographer Gordon Willis.

2 comments:

Greg Woods said...

I like when the president gets shot in the opening, lies bleeding on the stairs, and Cosell says to him "Well good luck to you."

Lest we forget, Howard Cosell (indirectly) created (for me) the biggest howler in Sleeper, when the people of the 23rd century are showing Woody Allen strange remnants from the 20th century-- one of them is a broadcast of "ABC Wild World of Sports". The 23rd century man says "We're not sure, but we have a theory that people guilty of committing crimes against the state were forced to watch this." Woody replies "Yes- that's exactly what that was."

Barry Smight said...

My favourite Cosell line: "It's over!... it's alll over!"

The first time I saw this I'm sure I blew out my adenoids!