Wednesday, November 21, 2007

CBC HOPING

The CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) is hoping that the WGA strike in the States will make a lot of Canadians turn to them instead. This strike is prohibiting new episodes from being produced, or will be if the shutdown lasts for any length of time, and the CBC just happens to be unveiling a bunch of new product.

These new shows are: The Border (to premiere in January), MVP [pictured above] ("the secret lives of hockey wives"... hey, will there be any good fights?), Sophie, jPod (based on a book by Douglas Coupland), and, as I like to say, so on.

To be honest, I think that the Corp is being a little too hopeful. People will just watch repeats of their crappy U.S. prime time 'hits' as opposed to moving over and trying the CBC shows. I am not suggesting that U.S. shows are all crappy; of course not. They make so many there are actually some good ones (so I've heard).

I admit I've seen some of the CBC's Intelligence series. I also admit I was very, very impressed. Have always liked Ian Tracey -- ever since I saw him in Claude Jutra's Dreamspeaker, back in 1977 on the CBC. He is a superb actor.

But it seems hardly anybody is watching.

... case closed.

The CBC's excellent website is at...
http://cbc.ca/

It makes sense, eh?

No comments: