Monday, November 12, 2007

FIGHTING THE BAD FIGHT

Here is something which fits the bizarre: The subject of fighting in ice hockey. Was reading the Toronto Star online where there was a banner on the home page... http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NHL/article/275614

I never have liked fighting in what, to me, is the finest team sport you can find this side of Talos IV.

I think it is unfortunate that a game which tends to be inherently exciting has to be described as being more so when there is a scrap on the ice.

Even as a little kid -- early '70s -- I was frustrated when a fight broke out. For me, it was the equivalent of going to a commercial break. "Where is the hockey?"

I rarely watch any NHL hockey... maybe it is because of the fighting. It is possible.

Ice hockey is superb by it's very nature (the only team sport that even comes close is football/soccer). You do not need a fight to elevate the game.

Fighting in hockey is the equivalent to the Starship Enterprise coming across a bunch of 'space hippies'. (Bizarre and unnecessary.)

On a similar note: I find it amusing that the CBC feels they have to use strobe-like camera techniques, quick cutting, and rock music to help sell the viewer on the game. The tight and staccato imagery is redundant... the game is already very, very fast. I can see why the U.S. networks utilize these techniques for their coverage of NFL football because there is not quite the visual zip in the game itself. (Of course the CBC is copying the technique from the Americans as it gives it credibility.)

No comments: