Friday, November 18, 2011

DAVID FINCHER AT TWENTY THOUSAND LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA

I found out a few weeks ago that David Fincher is planning a new version of Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.  Great!... I thought; until I found out that he will be lensing it in 3-D.  No.  Please, no.  My fear is it will not be exhibited at all in 2-D.  That is the bigger issue.

Back in 1997, there were two competing made-for-tv Leagues projects shown within months of each other.  They were both pretty weak.  Ben Cross played Nemo in one of them.  The other telefilm's Nemo was in the form of Michael Caine.  I actually preferred the former production, overall.

Note:  Got a kick out of a bit in article I read; went like this...
"(3-D) will bring Jules Verne's classic novel to life."

... What?  I think the fact that it's a great story should be able to, we hope, handle the "to life" all on its own.  (The average 'entertainment writer' is pathetic. Yep, "3-D" will give Verne's story much needed zip.)


Overview of Jules Verne's novel, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Thousand_Leagues_Under_the_Sea

No comments: