Friday, November 18, 2011

TWO LITTLE BOYS HAD TWO LITTLE TOYS

Songs from our childhood snap us back whenever we hear the tunes as an adult, or even think about them.

Something, I do not know what, got me thinking of the 1969 hit song "Two Little Boys".  I decided to do something about it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Little_Boys

... I had not realized the song was that old.  Two Little Boys was written in 1902 by Americans Theodore Morse (music) and Edward Madden (lyrics), and originally achieved popularity with Scottish entertainer Harry Lauder.  The version I know was covered by Rolf Harris, and it became a No. 1 hit in the U.K.

This I did not know, simply because I had forgotten a particular lyric:  The song tells the story of two boys who grow up to fight in the American Civil War.

Next it was a matter of finding out the exact lyrics.  And here they are...

Two little boys had two little toys 
Each had a wooden horse 
Gaily they played each summer day 
Warriors both of course.


One little chap had a mishap 
Broke off his horse's head 
Wept for his toy and cried out the joy 
As his young playmate said.


Do you think I would leave you crying 
When there's room on my horse for two 
Climb up Jack and we'll soon be riding 
I can go just as fast with two.


When we grow up we'll be soldiers 
And our horses will not be toys 
and I wonder we'll remember 
When we were two little boys.


Long years has passed, war came so fast 
one fought the blue the other gray 
Cannons roared loud and in the mad crowd 
wounded and dying there.


Out comes a shot, a horse dashes out 
Out from the ranks so blue 
and it gallops away to where Joe lay 
then came the voice he knew.


Did you think I could leave you dying 
When there's room on my horse for two 
Climb up Joe, we'll soon be flying 
I can go just as fast with two.


Do you say, Joe, I'm a-tremble 
well perhaps is the battle noise 
but I think it's that I remember 
When we were two little boys.

No comments: