Saturday, November 5, 2011

STAR TREK - "THE SAVAGE CURTAIN" - A LINE


When speaking with a friend recently he said that he had just watched Star Trek on television.  When I asked him which episode it was, he answered with a happy "The Savage Curtain".  He then went on to say that he almost "pissed" himself when Yarnek (the rock creature from the planet Excalbia) said something about 'Zora experimenting with people's chemistry'.  While I did score some laughs from my friend when I tried to quote the line, I decided that one day I would look up the exact wording.  Well, ladies, gentlemen, Trekkies & Trekkers, here is Yarnek's commentary (as the camera shows each of the four villains that Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Surak, and Abraham Lincoln [!] will have to combat)...

"... some of these you may know through history...

"Genghis Khan, for one...

"And Colonel Green; who led a genocidal war early in the 21st century on Earth...

"Zora; who experimented with the body chemistry of subject tribes on Tiburon...

"Kahless the Unforgettable; the Klingon who set the pattern for his planet's tyrannies..."

***

"The Savage Curtain" is a lot of fun.  Yes, it's from Trek's infamous third-season, but "Savage" is still underrated, as far as I'm concerned.  And Phillip Pine is awesome as "Colonel Green".

Great pulp cheese.  But with a strong theme.

No comments: