Wednesday, November 23, 2011

CANADIAN TIRE STORE FLYER

Came home today, checked my mailbox for mail, and pulled out the junk-mail -- some jerk tore off the "No Junk Mail, Please" sticker I had stuck on the box. (I've been too lazy to replace the label.  Hey, it takes a lot of effort to pull out a marker pen, a piece of paper...)

Included within the pile of paper junk was a flyer for Canadian Tire (a big retail chain here in Canada, with an emphasis on automotive stuff, and hardware; but they sell just about everything, it seems).  While I sat down and enjoyed my 'come-down coffee' I leafed through the mini-magazine, enjoying the ads for things I cannot afford -- even though a lot of items appear to me to be very reasonably priced.  One such advert caught my attention: "Replica hockey pucks."  Oh, as opposed to "non-replica hockey pucks"?  Look, it's a hockey puck or it's not a hockey puck.  After that blip, I notice the puck ad is in a little, bottom-of-the-page section titled, "Complete Your Game With The Right Accessories".  What?  A hockey puck is hardly an "accessory".  I've played ice hockey, I know.  A "toque" is an accessory!  A puck is not!

That ice hockey "accessory" hit me in the face once.  I needed stitches.  Then I became a man.


(What Woody Allen film has the line, "I need a Valium the size of a hockey puck!"?  It's a very funny line, delivered by the man himself.)

2 comments:

Jon said...

I suspect the "game" they're referring to is the pastime of collecting hockey stuff, not actually playing with it. Most of those replica pucks likely won't leave a display case...

Barry Smight said...

Yeah, I admit I was acting stupid; which I'm really good at. What I will do for my art....