Sunday, February 24, 2008

THE OSCARS? BUGGER OFF!

I have never seen the Oscar awards broadcast. Sure, I've seen tiny pieces over the years but I am proud of the fact that I have never wasted my time sitting down for the whole snooze fest. Back in elementary school, my teacher asked how many of us in the class "watched the Oscars last night". He went onto explain how the ceremony is organized and presented. All I thought after he asked the question was, "was I supposed to watch them?" (This would have been 1974, the year The Sting was all the rage.)

The Oscars are a joke. You can list people "who have never won, or never did win, an Oscar", and films which ran in a stream of euphoria, winning a pile of gold statuettes and probably never deserved to. (This is all subjective, of course.)

Actor James Stewart dropped the ball years ago when he admitted that he never checked off any boxes in the actors' categories -- every year he would pass his ballot to his wife.

I know... the Oscars broadcast doesn't really mean anything, they are meant to be fun. Very true, what else would explain Titanic's 11 count? Ben Hur (1959) deserved them but not the grossly overrated flick from ten years ago.

And that Titanic song. The pain; the pain.

6 comments:

enjonze said...

And why haven't any of the Star Wars films won best picture Oscars? Anyone else notice the similarites between C-3PO and the Oscar statuette?

Greg Woods said...

Bitter?

enjonze said...

No. Being sarcastic. But for all the undeserved Oscars given out over the years, SW may have well as won a Best Picture Oscar. Wouldn't be out of line with some of their choices.

Greg Woods said...

No, I meant Barry.

Barry Smight said...

Me? The Oscars?

No. Being sarcastic.

I'll try to be more obvious next time.

Greg Woods said...

Okay. (Like I'll remember in 364 days from now.)