Friday, February 15, 2008

BALLROOM PEOPLE

While I do like certain things, like the original Star Trek, with a degree of affection, I hardly fall into the domain of a fanatic (fan). My good friend Tim, however, is what you would call a Trekkie. Walk into his house, and just inside the front door is a shelf supporting Andorian, Tellarite, and other Trek alien figures. That is only the introduction. Wait 'till you get further into the house.

During one of my visits, Tim played a video that he had shot at one of the recent Toronto Trek conventions. Several of the actors from various incarnations of Trek were on stage in the hosting Hotel's ballroom, doing their speeches and acts (James Doohan was very funny, a real talent), but overall this was fairly mundane stuff to me. What was of interest were some of the cutaways that Tim had edited into the footage. The best of these was his slow pan of the Trekkie audience: A sea of pot-bellied people.

No comments: