Sunday, February 10, 2008

WHICH WHO?

I recently spoke with a friend of mine who you could classify as a Doctor Who fan. The discussion of favourite 'Doctor' came up; it is the all time question for Who Fans, or Whovians: "Who is your favourite Doctor?"

My own favourite would have to be the good Doctor as portrayed by Jon Pertwee (pictured above). He is the one I grew up watching although I had seen some episodes of William Hartnell -- the first actor to play the role -- when I was a little one. Pertwee was third in the chain. Patrick Troughton was the one before him.

I understand that your favourite Doctor depends, generally, on which one you watched as a child. There are those out there who will pick Sylvester McCoy as their favourite... as odd as this might be for some of us to believe. (I've seen only a couple episodes of this guy and they were bad. Very bad.)

It's all nostalgia for me now. I tried watching the newest version of Doctor Who (2005 - ) and it left me cold.

1 comment:

enjonze said...

I don't think that McCoy himself was awful. It was the scripts (the space circus one was particularly horrible) and the production values. Colin Baker on the other hand was awful.

Rumoured Doctors over the years I'd have loved to see:
- David Warner
- Rowan Atkinson (apparently offered the role at one point)
- Kenneth Brannagh

And I wish Eccleston had stayed a few seasons, even though I think David Tennant is the best Doctor to date.