Saturday, February 9, 2008

VANCOUVER CANUCKS LOGO

Look at that beautiful thing (piece of graphic design). This original Vancouver Canucks logo -- designed by artist Joe Borovich and called the 'Stick-in-Rink' -- is greatly in favour these days. It was not always that way: I remember October of 1970... yes I do, and I am serious. On television, one Saturday evening, played a CBC's Hockey Night in Canada broadcast; a game with the Canucks visiting the Toronto Maple Leafs in Maple Leaf Gardens. Before the contest started, the Canadian national anthem played ("Oh, Canada"; neat, eh?). The television camera panned across the Vancouver Canucks hockey team as they stood to attention in their bench. My mother's voice took over the living room. "Look at those ridiculous uniforms." I had no opinion at the time as my brain was just a few years old.

Now I look at this logo with some reverence... as a piece of graphic art. I remember when the Canucks dropped this symbol for the 'big V' in 1978. No, "V" is not for "vasectomy", although the result was probably the same. Inpotence no doubt influenced the change from this logo to another. (The Canucks have gone through more corporate identities than I have socks.)

I was watching an NHL game a couple of years ago where the Canucks were playing, and noticed the sweet hockey stick logo as patches on the players' jerseys. Last hockey season I brought the issue up with a 'Sens' (Ottawa Senators) fan friend of mine and we agreed that the Canucks should adopt the original as their main jersey. (They use it as the alternative one at this time. As of this hockey season, 2007/2008, the logo has been given a slight modification. I knew this would happen: the 'stick' is now angled a little to look more like a "V"... for 'Vancouver'.)

My Sens fan friend says that, as much as he likes the original, the Canucks won't adopt it as their primary logo.

I say they must -- if they know what's good for them.

The Stick-in-Rink must look real nice on a crisp white T-shirt.

1 comment:

enjonze said...

I agree. Excellent bit of design, that. Simplicity, itself, which most of today's designers have forgotten (or never learned).