Thursday, February 14, 2008

EPISODE TITLES

Back in the early 'nineties when I worked in the film biz, I freelanced at a company where we had this character of an employee by the name of Chuck. Chuck had an odd personality but he was a great human being. When he spoke it was with sharp diction and unique cadence.

One day I was talking with Chuck about something and the subject of (the original) Star Trek came up. What happened next is I dispensed a piece of trivia about the show which in Chuck's eyes was done with too much authority... "You're a geek! You are too; you're a wierdo geek!", shot the critic. In an adjacent room was Bob, fellow employee, who could not help but overhear this admonition. Bob supplied an out-of-control giggley laugh as Chuck laid into me.

"Excuse me, Chuck. I find those remarks to be extremely caustic and insensitive!", was my only response.

Just as quickly as this incident flared up, it settled down. Chuck added with diplomatic skill, "I'm just teasin' ya. I watched those things way to much myself. I just think that people take it way too far when they know the actual episode titles."

Oh shit...

(Pardon the picture of me. It's the best I have.)

No comments: