Thursday, February 21, 2008

SUSPECT ON QUEEN GONE

Like many Torontonians, I woke up to the news yesterday that a fire was raging on Queen Street, near Bathurst. More details came out as the day progressed. Then the news that Suspect Video and Culture burned to the ground.

While I rarely went to this location (since I live near the Markham Street store), and never to rent or buy but generally to meet someone, this unfortunate event does hit home. The owner, Luis, is one of those 'super nice guys' you occasionally meet from time to time. As a matter of fact, I bumped into him the day before the fire. Luis is always so cordial and friendly -- we joked about some title that he has been meaning to pull in for me. He is that type. (I have been going to the Markham Street location for 16 years now. It is one of my favourite shops of any kind anywhere in Toronto.)

My best wishes go to Luis and the gang.

1 comment:

Greg Woods said...

Tonight was actually the first time I was in the area since the disaster. What a tragedy. Anyhow, Stacey Case had loaned his screening facility for the "8 Fest" tonight, and during the night he had made an announcement that after talking to Luis, "Suspect is a phoenix that will rise from the ashes". And applause followed.