Tuesday, February 10, 2009

HOT OFF THE PRESSES?

I do not understand why I am not a vegetarian by now. It's not as though I eat a lot of meat -- as in huge slabs of sirloin. The taste of pork does appeal to me, so it is going to be hard to give up those little sausages that I have been known to eat now and again. What is stopping me from becoming a vegetarian is taste.

A few minutes ago I polished off a pile of Chicken Wings that my place of work ordered in early this evening. The main course was two medium sized pizzas: I chomped into them as though they were the last pizzas to be made on planet Earth for the next few years. Two boxes of wings were ordered and were unopened when it came time for me to leave work a couple of hours ago.

Back to the wings I said I finished a few minutes ago. One piece of chicken I was working on towards the end of the feast was drenched in that special sauce which accompanies the boxed lunch. For some reason this one bit of meat made me think about the process of consumption. My mind looked at the morsel in a more abstract way and not just something I read saying it was in fact from a chicken. Perhaps "gross" is the word. Not a lot turns my stomach but dedicating a few brain cells to the equation actually produced the question, "what exactly am I eating here?" First of all, I like chickens as little beings. "Why do I feel compelled to devour one of these, albeit a prepared or 'processed' example?" Maybe it is time to leave these buggers alone.

Just what exactly was I eating? Does any of us really know?

McDonalds makes a lot of money processing "something(s)".

No comments: