Saturday, March 26, 2011

MILLIONS OF YEARS

The Brits really know how to put on a show; look at this "live" mini-series from 1958... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i7JxVWxXuw

Quatermass and the Pit
, by Nigel Kneale. As a youngster in the early 1970s I would often see a creepy/scary feature film, on television, by the name of Five Million Years to Earth. What it was in reality was a film, by the famous Hammer Studios, titled Quatermass and the Pit. It was based on the BBC version which I linked to above.

My thinking is that as much as I have fond memories of Five Million Years *, I'm beginning to feel that the original Beeb take even more creepy/scary... and I'm only half-way through the show (just finished watching episode 3). My lordy is it good. Impeccable storytelling; and never boring.


(* Note: The television prints kicking about in the early to mid 1970s, here in North America at least, were in b&w -- which only added to the effect. A pristine colour print is not as effective, for some reason. Same goes for Island of Terror: Knew only as a b&w film for years until I saw it in wide-screen and pristine colour print.)


Part 1 of Quatermass and the Pit (BBC, 1958)...

No comments: