Wednesday, November 18, 2009

WATCHING MOVIES

I have been very busy lately due to the fact I am trying to drum up more work. A friend of mine slipped me a small stack of DVDs, drawn from his rather voluminous library.

Somehow I have managed to knock off the following:

The Thing (1982)
Good. Had never seen it before. Love the original version -- titled specifically The Thing From Another World.

The Fog (1980)
Like The Thing above, another John Carpenter film. I did see this when it came out... like it then, liked it again.

Escape From New York (1981)
Saw this one about twenty years ago. For some reason did not enjoy it as much then as I did last night. Fun movie. Again, directed by that J. Carpenter guy.

Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Directed by Tim Burton, who is hit and miss for me, as are most directors, but who's visual style I like very much. I watched the first 70 minutes then realized I really had to get back to work...

... to be continued.

I have seen some recent releases -- I'll post about them a few years from now. Time must pass.

3 comments:

Greg Woods said...

The Fog is my favourite Carpenter-- a mini-masterpiece of mood and atmosphere. And did anyone look cooler with an earring than Lee Van Cleef in Escape From New York? I think not.

Barry Smight said...

Awesome dude, that Van Cleef!

I have not seen "Assault on Precinct 13" and I've heard it might just be Carpenter's very best.

Greg Woods said...

Yeah, I've seen Assault... a couple of times- I'm so-so on it. But to each their own....