Sunday, November 8, 2009

GOODBYE, OLE GIRL

It is time for me to completely switch over to the laptop computer I bought last December. The reason why the 'old' machine is still sitting of my table is because it has Adobe Illustrator loaded onto it and freelance required, until now, its continued operation.

In comparison to my new computer, the desktop is a bit of a beast although powerful enough in its own right. My old employer sold it to me after my inquiry regarding an unused unit -- one of about five built for the company to be used for dedicated DVD authoring -- sat for at least two months on a shelf, waiting to be swung into action.

Well, as fate would have it, and too typical of business matters, a big contract to do a ream of DVDs for a distributor fell through and we did not need so many. I acquired a machine that had 512 megs of RAM (a huge leap up from my previous computer) and a memory of 1.7 gigs.

She served me well, conspiring with me to produce many graphic projects, video capture jobs, and tons of word processing. Having done a litany of work left me with many folders and files (typical, of course). This was part of the bottleneck to switching over to the laptop (of 3 gigs of RAM and 2 gigs of memory). Like many, I did not give priority to transferring those files over...

It's nice having a freed-up table.

By the way, my 'new' lover is an HP (Hewlett Packard). I absolutely love her. (Hint: She's great in the sack.) If I were a celebrity I would volunteer to be a pitchman for them. (Why is it when I walk into a cafe I see a sea of HP laptops? That company must be doing something right.)

No comments: