Saturday, November 21, 2009

SLEEPY & HOLLOW

As mentioned in my previous posting (WATCHING MOVIES) I started watching director Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow but turned it off in order to go back to work.

I finished the flick last night and felt like something was missing.

While I was very impressed with the production design, and the visual effects, there was little left. More style than content -- it's not as though the source material is weak: In this case Washington Irving's story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. As what happens when I see a movie drawn from a well known or highly regarded work, and the magic gets lost in the translation to film, I'm just prompted to go back to the source. Very often I would rather read than watch a movie, anyway. (Yes, I too am a visual person.)

After seeing the 1998 film What Dreams May Come, this very thing happened, besides having a tangible reaction to star Robin Williams' cloying performance: "Time to go back to Richard Matheson's original story."

No comments: