Sunday, August 7, 2011

CANADIAN TV MIGHT SNOW

Greg Quill of the Toronto Star has written a nice overview to Canada's upcoming switch to 'digital broadcast' tv. Like many Canadians who use an antenna to grab tv broadcasts, I will be S-out-of-luck on August 31st since I do not have the proper equipment to convert the digital encoded signals to my analogue television.

My dilemma is that I can't really justify, right now, the cost of the converter box. (They will retail for about $100.00 including taxes.) I might want to pull out the calculator to work out how much tv I actually do watch, and break it down into dollars and cents; keeping in mind, of course, the point where the investment in a box is paid in full.

An interesting note to all this: American viewers who live near the Canadian border, and who watch and enjoy Canadian stations over-the-air, have been frustrated in the last couple of years -- ever since the U.S. undertook the complete changeover to digital.


The Toronto Star article...
http://www.toronto.com/article/694325--some-canadians-won-t-be-able-to-adjust-their-sets

2 comments:

Dominic M said...

Cheese Louise, Barry! You haven't been watching tv off the internet?

Barry Smight said...

Actually, I have! Started about two years ago -- in force -- when a friend supplied me with "justin tv". For example, I watched a few football matches. Premiere League on down. Great stuff. Watched a few other things, too. I'm not a big tv watcher, but it's nice to have the Internet option.