Tuesday, October 7, 2014

THE NEW FLASH FAILS TO CATCH ME

Rare is it that I see an advert on television for a "exciting premiere" of a new one-hour series and reciprocate with dedicated viewing. Well, my day was long and hard so I decided to relax in front of my telescreen this evening and watch episode one of The Flash.

I needn't have bothered. Mere minutes in I realized it was all an ugly mistake. The lead actor -- I've forgotten his name and I'm not wasting time looking it up -- is all wrong as the titular character: He lacks weight and screen presence. The rest of the cast is too young and too pretty. Bad acting is rampant. The CGI is typical cheapness. The script is overloaded with convention. And the direction lacks aim... like a random static charge; or flicks of light off an opera ball.

The obvious joke here is that The Flash will be gone in a flash, but let's not kid ourselves. Lots of equally crappy series' seem to find a non-discriminating audience.

My advice is to take a pass and let The Flash speed past you into oblivion....

Woof, woof, lil' doggie.




***

PS: I'm not a big fan of the 1990 - 1991 television version of The Flash, but I admit that John Wesley Shipp was well-cast as the speedy man. Also, that series had some style and a sense of grandeur; two things distinctly missing from the new Flash.

No comments: