Sunday, August 26, 2007

BOOKING HARLAN

Harlan Ellison is famous for a few reasons -- look him up on 'wikipedia' -- but the big one, in my eyes, is the fact that he is a superb short story writer. The type of short story Ellison is known for is, as he likes to say, 'speculative fiction'. Not 'science fiction', and certainly not 'sci-fi'. (For more on the Harlan Ellison/sci-fi issue look this up too on the net. You can also key-in 'Forrest J. Ackerman'.)

Now, before I get too carried away here I must admit that I don't read enough fiction. I read an awful lot: I always seem to have a book, magazine, Globe and Mail newspaper, pamphlet, or even 'bills' in my hand. But these are all known to be 'non-fiction' (that phone bill certainly is and books have been known to be fiction at times). The fact that I stay away from fiction, for the most part, is kinda strange considering that I love stories and storytelling. ("No, dear, I was out with the guys last night... honest.")

Let me recollect my thoughts for a moment; years ago I read a couple volumes or collections, as it were, of Ellison's short stories. "Stalking the Nightmare", which is actually a mix of fiction and not, convinced me that this man is a talent -- and Harlan can continue to be a testy jerk; it's his right. Again, an Internet search will fill you in if you don't already know (he doesn't like to be stepped on). His collection of true stories about the dark side of television (1968 - 1970), bound under the title, "The Glass Teat", appealed to this writer's obvious interest in that form... and all its darkness.

The punchline is that "Stalking the Nightmare" and "The Glass Teat" are rare items: A friend of mine has these books but will not lend them to anybody. Can't say I blame him.

On next week's episode: More Harlan Ellison.

No comments: