Wednesday, September 26, 2007

THE DEVILS

A friend lent me his VHS of the 1971, Ken Russell feature film, The Devils. I used to work with a guy who told me the this was one of his favourite films; that was the fist time I had ever heard of it, I am sure. Because I know this film was of a certain temperament and theme, I waited for the right time to sit down and watch it. (Perhaps knowing I've had this tape for over a month helped convince me now was the time. I tried last week to watch but about twenty minutes in I realized I as thinking about other things.)

Maybe I have to watch The Devils again to fully appreciate it. While I liked those Russellonian touches very much -- art direction, cinematography and camera technique, pumped-up acting, etc. -- the film overall did not sit too well with me. Of course it's the subject matter; terribly unpleasant, especially the climax... which in true Russell fashion, is very cacophonous. (Filmmaker Darren Aronofsky is affected by Russell's technique.)

In addition to being a terrific actor, Oliver Reed was one good looking boy! The blasted booze! What is it with pretty-boy British actors and their affinity for the bottle?!

No comments: