Sunday, September 16, 2007

ELWY MISSED

In my previous blog from a few days ago where I outlined what 'stars' I have met ("JUST A WALKIN' DOWN THE STREET") , I failed to mention a great Canadian; Elwy Yost. Mr. Yost was part of any Ontario movie fan or aspiring filmmaker's education in the topic of classic films. Through his show Magic Shadows, which ran weekly, Monday to Friday (thereby breaking any feature length film into serialized segments) and the weekly program, Saturday Night at the Movies, Elwy was the man. His pleasant onscreen demeanour, grand enthusiasm, and broad knowledge of classic and notable movies, made home movie-going that much richer.

Some films I was introduced to on his programs were The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Tumbleweeds, Intolerance, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse, and Suspicion.

Magic Shadows would sometimes wrap up the shorter features by Thursday, thereby leaving Friday open where Elwy would show a Republic Studios serial such as G-Men vs the Black Dragon, Nyoka and the Tigermen, and The Mysterious Dr. Satan. (I remember my whole family watching the riveting Dr. Satan serial. Actually, this particular one might have been shown on Saturday Night and not Magic Shadows.) As these 'chapter-plays' consisted of twelve parts more often than not, you can see how they would stretch over a good part of a season. Elwy would also have on many Hollywood guests; either in filmed segments or in the studio. And when a Republic serial was shown, he would have, sometimes, "Don Daynard the Movie Buff" on as a guest. (Mr. Daynard is an authority on the old Republic serials.)

You get my drift. Elwy Yost was it. So much so, it would seem, that I would forget about mentioning him in my 'Canadian stars' blog.

One morning, in the summer of 1986, I was waiting on the TTC St. George subway station platform here in Toronto. My friend Jonathan was with me. We were on our way to work. I was leaning up against a pillar when I noticed that Jon, who was facing me, smiled suddenly. At that instant, I hear an "excuse me"... I look to my right and there he is -- the man himself. How could I mistake that voice? Instead of saying, "time to turn those lights down a wee bit low", Elwy asks for directions. Without missing a beat, and to keep my reputation for having no shame, I dramatically extend my arms and yell out, "Elwy Yost!" With more reserve than I, the man utters softly, "yes, it's me". He's a tall guy. Not the usual television shrimpkin.

And that was that; the man who is as big as any Hollywood star to a guy like me, was on the TTC... just a regular guy, just like I suspected. Gotta love him -- and many of us do.

1 comment:

Greg Woods said...

I met Elwy Yost in 1989 at Royal York Subway station. The story is immortalized way way back in issue seven of ESR.