Sunday, April 26, 2009

A TREK ON TV TONIGHT

While leafing through the Globe and Mail television guide just now, I came across a feature story on Star Trek: The Motion Picture. ("Space Channel" is playing it tonight at 8 pm... sorry, I'll be watching some Allan King films.) Normally I would have not bothered posting a blog entry until the piece reminded us that this picture came out 30 years ago (on December 7th) and the latest Trekkie incarnation hits theatres in two weeks. "That was thirty years ago (on December 7th)?!"

I was there with ten other guys. (Notice I did not mention any ladies. I'm sure there must have been some at my high school.) When the end credits went up, the general feeling was that the big screen, big budget version was a disappointment. Watching it again a few years ago gave me a more balanced, objective, and fresh re-evaluation of ST: TMP. It's not that bad and thinking about the ones I did later see -- they being the following five, before the brutally boring and utterly unappealing Next Generation cast took over the Burke chairs -- makes me appreciate the first feature even more. After all, "The Motionless Picture" was the only film in the franchise (until J.J. Abrams's upcoming take) considered an "A-status" film. Not that size matters (I know all about that) but the trivia is interesting, nonetheless.

More trivia: My favourite Trekkie film is still "the one about the whales".

No comments: