Monday, August 31, 2009

MARVEL AT DISNEYLAND

Something that had not occurred to me until I decided to read in detail just now on the Disney take-over of Marvel: Of course, it is so obvious... the comic book characters could appear at the Mouse House's theme parks. Something does not seem right about that.

Needless to say the terms of the deal -- all sales are built on some conditions -- could spell out something like "under no circumstances are Marvel characters to appear at your goofy and overpriced theme-parks".

Disney could make a Marvelopolis park: "With heroes and villains, the bad and the good."

3 comments:

enjonze said...

Yeah, nothing like passing off characters fueled by rage, like the Hulk, as wholesome, family entertainment.

But Marvel character-themed rides already appear in theme parks through-out the U.S. Disney will either have to let these contracts run their course, or buy them out.

I suspect Disney bought Marvel for one reason and one reason only: the very successful film division.

I'm guessing Marvel will be run as arm's-length division, much as DC is at Time-Warner.

I should have bought Marvel stock back when they did an IPO...

Barry Smight said...

I wish I had have bought 'Westjet' stock a few years ago.

"They" say that if you are going to play the stock market, buy stocks in a biz that you are really interested in. I can imagine you kicking yourself right now.

Greg Woods said...

Hmmm.... could a Howard The Duck theme park be too far off?