Sunday, August 30, 2009

NHL ECONOMIC SENSE, ONTARIO

This article is music to my ears...
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/688409

... yes it is. Someone read it to me this morning. (I wanted to hear it spoken.) Economics professor Andrew Zimbalist is absolutely right on all counts, I'm sure. But he does not understand, perhaps, that "sense" is not an operative word in the Southern Ontario NHL market. MLSE (Maple Leafs, Sports and Entertainment) is a bunch of thugs, using their tentacles to manipulate and put themselves in power, and for optimal positioning to counter any threat such as what is happening with the Phoenix Coyotes and the possibility, or wish, by some, of putting that team in Hamilton (which is next door to Toronto).

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman does nothing to keep the MLSE creeps in check. Speaking of creeps...

1 comment:

enjonze said...

I couldn't give a fuck about hockey, but the financial workings of these things are fascinating.

While they'd never get a penny in revenue from me, an NHL team in Hamilton would be wonderful economic boon for the city.