Tuesday, September 29, 2009

TWILIGHT ZONE AT 50

Early this morning I read that the anthology television series The Twilight Zone premiered 50 years ago this week. For whatever reason (trying to scare up more work, maybe?) I had forgotten about this marker.

While I do not regard the series as the finest of its type -- I give that to The Outer Limits (1963-1965), even though one is fantasy while the other, more Science Fiction -- Zone is absolutely one of the best.

As a matter of fact, and this was not part of any celebration (read above) I have been checking out, from the Toronto Public Library, various compilation DVDs of the series. I watched three episodes last week: "Elegy" (good), "A Drink From a Certain Fountain" (okay), and "The 30 Fathom Grave" (excellent, with a dynamite punch-line delivered by actor John Considine, in one of the hour-long installments).

For me, Zone consisted mostly of misfires, more than upper crust successes; to be expected of a series that ran 156 episodes. We tend to remember the outstanding examples -- the fact is most were just okay. But still better than most of the crappola (to borrow a "Bunkerism") run on television over the years.

In summary, the original The Twilight Zone, when it was good, was great.

2 comments:

Greg Woods said...

In my time, I've managed to catch "Twilight Zone" episodes in syndication-- all late at night, appropriately... first on CKCO on Friday night, the Cat's Pajama's on Sunday night at 1 AM, and (I think) City TV on Sundays at 11:30.

Since I haven't really seen the show in years, I can't be as speculative, but I do concede that the hour-long episodes were poor. My favourite is one I've only seen once, but it's with a cheap hood that can change his face. Any attempts with me trying to find this haven't met with much luck-- can't even remember any cast.

Although I'm no authority on the man, this is a very good book on Rod Serling. More hardcore fans may disagree- I'm not sure, but it's very interesting.

Barry Smight said...

"The Twilight Zone" is best watched late at night. Of course, Chuck the Security Guard ran these episodes late-late at night during his brief run on Toronto TV station CFMT (Ch47... now OMNI), back in 1980-81.

Yes, the hour-long episodes, which reared their long heads in the fourth season of Zone, are weak. The series worked best as half-hour bits... which added to their parable feeling.

I think you are referring to the Zone episode "The Four of Us Are Dying"; a superior instalment, with actor Phillip Pine playing one of the hood's incarnations, and a driving and punchy jazz-like score from my fav, Jerry Goldsmith.

(By the way, that is Phillip Pine in the photo representing me.)