Saturday, September 5, 2009

TIFF '09, OH WHO CARES?!

Is it just me, or is the Toronto International Film Festival becoming more and more unappealing? I'm partly joking as many of my friends, who you would think would go, do not partake at all. (One buddy of mine, who works as a picture editor, told me rather sheepishly one day, "I don't like 'film people'".) I used to go on a regular basis, some years going so often I should have gotten a special pass card instead of paying for individual movie screenings... more economical that way.

Maybe it is because I am becoming older, and perhaps a little wiser, but I have no desire to go anymore. There are so many phonies in the business, but, to tell you the truth, so-called "cinephiles" can be the worst of the type. The pretension and insincerity is too much. These are the people who stand up in the middle of a film, or worse, at the beginning (?!) of one, flamboyantly gather their things and stomp up the aisle. An old friend of mine says he takes these incidents personally. Hey, I know what he means.

Let's be fair here, though: Maybe their Lattes are "off" and they are making a desperate and dramatic run for the restroom!

No comments: