Tuesday, March 30, 2010

AVATAR NOT

I finally saw Jimmy Cameron's huge money making feature film Avatar. I was unimpressed in so many ways, including, surprisingly enough, the 3-D.

My original idea was to do a mini treatise on Avatar and its disappointment, but I'll leave it at that... plus I'm really busy right now. You get the idea.

I will say this: Avatar must be the biggest money maker where the majority of people say, when asked what they thought, "it was good... it was okay, I guess". Wow. A couple friends of mine think it is outstanding but I find, in my own little admittedly limited exit polling sampling, the majority is rather ho-hum. "The 3-D was unnecessary" has been a very common comment, and one with which I agree completely. A gimmick, and a not very good one. More annoying.

I really wish Cameron would have a professional script polisher go over his scribblings before his productions go to camera. While I do like a few of his films, I have long felt that they almost always "don't quite get there". He's no Uwe Boll. And that's for sure.

No comments: