Sunday, March 7, 2010

HURTING OSCARS

"Would you believe, ten best picture nominations?"

"I don't believe it."

"Ahh... would you believe one good picture and nine voting-card specials?"

***

All due respects to the brilliant Don Adams, the Oscars, or rather, the viewers, are in for a treat. Now there are more possible winners of that coveted prize. My faithful readers know that I have no affection for the year's most specialest event -- it's more due to apathy... more important and interesting matters -- but I do support director Kathryn Bigelow's film The Hurt Locker. Not for an instant do I think it is an Oscar-worthy film, it's good, but not that good, but it would be nice to see a woman director take the gold.

I've tried working through the director's earlier effort, Strange Days, via DVD. What a piece of crap! Although I've managed to make it to the 65 minute mark, and have laughed out loud numerous times, there is a lot more to go... and laugh even more.

Most directors make at least one 'below the toilet water-line' movie. (A "bowel movie"?)

Still have not seen Avatar. And I've heard, from many friends, that Jason Reitman's Up in the Air is outstanding.


* While not the first, Ida Lupino did much to promote the idea of woman as film (and TV) director.

Piece from today's Toronto Star...
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/article/776178--james-cameron-s-teen-chum-prizes-an-early-script?bn=1

6 comments:

Greg Woods said...

Stronnnnnnngly disagree. I think Strange Days is her finest film to date.

Barry Smight said...

What is odd is in how many ways I think it is bad... not just an ingredient or two. But across the board. Ridiculous scenes abound, like the forced interplay (wretched characterizations) between Ralph Finnes' and Angela Bassett's characters.

Good to hear you like it, though. Would be terribly boring to agree on everything -- like which Larry Buchanan picture is the best. I say: Mars Needs Women. (The movie, not the little-known fact.)

Greg Woods said...

Eh-- I'll have to agree to disagree about your observations on Strange Days for now--- a blog reply isn't the right way for me to defend my reasoning. But I'm happy Kathryn Bigelow won. Personally, I find it funny that they got Babs Streisand to introduce the award, just like when they got Spielberg, Coppola and Lucas to introduce the best director award that did go to their old pal Scorsese. Coincidence? I think not.

And I'm sorry, but MY GOD did Ms. Bigelow look stunning. She was the true natural beauty in there-- most everyone else was painted up like ten dollar hookers.

Barry Smight said...

A leak was sprung at the Price Waterhouse.

I'm off to see a Chris Marker film, tomorrow. Maybe that will be a good one.

Greg Woods said...

Chris Marker??? Huh? Wha???? What? Where?

Barry Smight said...

http://www.cinemathequeontario.ca/filmdetail.aspx?filmId=1799