Friday, May 7, 2010

BRUCE KIRKLAND KNOWS NOTHING

Faithful Barry reader "The G-Man" posted a comment on my previous entry, to which I responded with a comment of my own. I decided to cut and paste it here...

"The author of the article I linked to is a pretty poor journalist. He being Bruce Kirkland. As a matter of fact, in the first draft of that posting I made a joke about that.

Kirkland is one childish guy. I don't know how many times I've seen him knock the VHS format with some put down like "it's gone, yay!" Funny coming from someone who undoubtedly used it for two decades to get his entertainment. Yes, we move on to new technologies. Wonderful.

I've seen him actually attack his readers for being ambivalent towards 'extras' on discs or for not necessarily preferring a wide-screen version of a movie over a full screen. One rule is you never put down your readers. You can still have an opinion but never mock those who take the time to read your column.

Notice to Mr. Kirkland: Most movies were (it's slowly changing) actually shot full-frame, or "full Academy". The top and bottom 'masking', for years and years, was almost arbitrary... with the 1.66:1 or 1.85:1 ratio, or part of the image, being "emphasised". (Films shot in anamorphic, as in CinemaScope, are the exception.)

I am a 'film formats' nut but I still think that too big a deal is made about 'letterboxing' in home video.

I doubt Kirkland knows much of anything. In many cases, opinions are not enough."

6 comments:

Greg Woods said...

Hmmm.... well, we're kind of deviating from what I meant in the first place. It makes sense that the Sun would cover what they did and not the more non-mainstream release that their particular demographic may not care as much about.

And not to spend more time than need be on trivial geekery, I don't care who thinks what on aspect ratio, letterboxing, VHS, DVD extras, etc., but B.K. oughtta know not to bite the hand that feeds him if what you say is true about snapping at his readers.

But I'm trying to remember-- circa 1984-5, former Toronto Star film critic Ron Base co-hosted a movie review program for TVO on Thursday nights. (Man, who DIDN'T co-host a movie review program in the 80s?) The name for the show escapes me completely, as does the name of his co-host. I think it was Kirkland, but can't verify this.

Barry Smight said...

I do realize that Kirkland's story was more in tune with the average Sun reader. Thanks.

I was giving an example of Kirkland's disregard for anyone who does not care about aspect rations or extras on discs. (Which is why I gave it a separate posting, away from your comment.)

In all honesty, it looked like he may have been tight for copy space, which could account for the basic look at the Corman DVD titles.

I cannot remember who the other guy was on that show you mention.

Greg Woods said...

Argh!!! This has been bugging me all day. Anyone out there remember the name of this show at least?

Barry Smight said...

Are you thinking of "Talking Film"?

Greg Woods said...

Nope. That was a show that Elwy Yost hosted in the early 80's. It was essentially him just introducing excerpts of his amazing archive of pre-taped interviews, and usually each episode of "Talking Film" would have a central theme to which each of the select interview pieces would pertain. That too was another essential program for me in those budding years when I first seriously became interested in film.

Barry Smight said...

Very good. You are right.

I've never been one to watch movie review shows, so I probably did not watch it. And did not even make a mental note.