Sunday, May 2, 2010

MOVIE NIGHTS

I've been watching some flicks...

The Sheik (1921)
This vehicle for super film star Rudolph Vanlentino is surprisingly watchable, with an understated acting style and a plot as easy to follow as today's average brainless summer blockbuster. Good film. Weird seeing Adolphe Menjou. Did he always look much older than he actually was?

The Big Lebowski (1997)
First time I saw this one head to tail. While it is good, it is not one of the Cohen brother's best. Possibly the most self conscious of their films. "Hey, look... we are the Cohen Brothers and we are making a Cohen Brothers-style film." Jeff Bridges is good as always.

A Day at the Races (1937)
The Marx Brothers are great. As always.

Eastern Promises (2007)
David Cronenberg, like Woody Allen, commands the film language, even if you do not like a given picture of his. I did like this one, however.

Who Gets to Call It Art? (2007)
Good overview of powerhouse modern American art promoter Henry Geldzahler (1935-1994). Frank Stella, Jonas Mekas, Andy Warhol, Ellsworth Kelly, Robert Rauschenberg, Roy Lichtenstein, Hans Hofmann... they're all here. It's no surprise that a lot of footage is culled from Emile de Antonio's 1973 documentary Painters Painting. I have that one on the shelf and have a habit of watching it at least twice a year.

Who is Henry Jaglom? (1997)
Some directors slip through the cracks. I admit I have never seen a Henry Jaglom film from head to tail; even if I've known about the man and his work for years. Judging from this documentary, Jaglom is quite the character. Time for me to make a move. Where's my supplier?

Avalon (2001)
I would be lying if I had an opinion on this one as I could not watch more than the first 10 minutes. It looks like one of those CG-afflicted video game movies. Total turn off. Maybe some other day.

No comments: