Sunday, June 13, 2010

USA TIES ENGLAND ON MISCUE

If you are a Brit, yesterday's World Cup football match between the USA and England was a heart breaker. The Anglo goalkeeper let a harmless shot get by him by crouching and trying to catch a rolling ball by pretending he was catching a baseball. You have to see it to believe it. I was sitting at home watching the game and as the moment in question played-out I muttered to myself, "he just let that ball get by him... "

A few World Cups ago a Brit friend of mine invited me over and played a VHS tape of a similar cock-up that team England had committed just days before. I had heard what happened in that critical match, so my friend played the tape again and again, giving me a "what if?" commentary each time. (I did not mock him, rather, I played a sympathy card, but it was obvious me mate was in some pain. When I revisited a few days later he again treated me to the big brain-buster.)

Being the proud football nation that they are, the British have a hard time letting stuff like this go. Already the media is having a field day (here in Canada, too)...
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/england-blunder-hands-us-tie/article1602160/

No comments: