Thursday, November 11, 2010

DINO DE LAURENTIIS DIES

I've been having some computer problems the last couple of weeks. Would let the blog slide for the time being.

However, reading the news a few minutes ago of Italian motion picture mogul Dino De Laurentiis' passing was more than enough of an excuse to "sign in"...
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a287288/dino-de-laurentiis-dies-aged-91.html

What is odd is that I've been thinking of his infamous 1976 version of King Kong. Minutes before I read the news of De Laurentiis' passing I heard that Paramount's new Dune remake is in possible trouble (after French director Pierre Morel walked off the show). Of course, the producer backed the mega-budget 1984 big screen version... directed by an obviously insecure David Lynch.

A few weeks ago I watched Nights of Cabiria (which De Laurentiis produced in his native Italy). What a superb and moving film.

No comments: