Saturday, February 16, 2013

SCTV EARLY YEARS ON DVD - REALLY?


Watching SCTV clips on Youtube shows why that video resource is amazing when you're in the mood to sample television you've not seen in years; or decades. Second City Television, as it was known in its earliest years, is something I want to see again -- the complete shows, that is, not just a bunch of random clips (as terrific as they are).

So, I went to the 'TV Shows on DVD' website (www.tvshowsondvd.com) to do a little research. While I do remember when the later NBC "Network 90" shows were released to DVD a few years ago, and am more than aware that the earliest skits appeared on the late night show in order to fill out the running time as much as anything else, I have a hankering to see the Melonville gang when they hit the Global Television Network back in the 1976-1977 season -- which is when I first saw the series. Imagine my disappointment when I read up on the DVD titled SCTV: The Best of the Early Years and noticed, after reading the episode descriptions, that the disc set is not really "the early years"... but rather "earlier years than the 'Network 90' shows". Nineteen-seventy eight is early, but not early enough: There are no 1976-1977 episodes at all, from the generally excellent Shout! Factory...
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/SCTV/6366

My demand for the earliest episodes comes about after watching a documentary on how the Second City theatre/improv group set up 'an office' in Toronto and made a move to television. Another reason for my demand: I'm getting old, and want to be reminded of my youth in any way possible....

No comments: