Wednesday, July 15, 2009

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL ON CHINATOWN MUSIC

Like The New Yorker and The Economist magazines, The Wall Street Journal dazzles with its level of journalism, even if it sometimes carries a story that you would not expect.

This past Friday, Terry Teachout, drama writer for the WSJ, took a look back at Jerry Goldsmith's superb score for the 1974 Roman Polanski directed classic, Chinatown.

I used to be the proud owner of a CD of this important score... one that can be enjoyed away from the picture. Yep, I bought it in January of 1996 and owned it for two or three weeks: Coworker Lee gushed one evening, as we nursed our beers, about how much he loved the music from Chinatown. I told him he could borrow it from me, at no charge. Well, the gushing continued days later when we were, once again, enjoying "frosties". My drinking buddy had the CD on him fully intending to return it to me, but in all the elation of the moment, I just said, "look, it's yours", and handled the disc back to him. Lee replied with a hug and "thank you... thank you... "


The story in question from The Wall Street Journal from Friday, July 10th...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204261704574274152752739772.html

No comments: