Thursday, September 9, 2010

A MAN'S ISLAND

A friend of mine is a big Lost fan. He has suggested, not unreasonably, that I should watch that series from head to tail. That one cannot properly enjoy the show without watching every scrap and trimming. Understood, although I am certainly not going to spend all those hours of my life watching a television show in a relatively compressed period of time. I told this friend that I heard this very same thing as a tiny tot back in the early 1970s when a local TV station started re-running the super-classic Gilligan's Island. "No, no... you must watch from the beginning in order to properly understand all the themes and subplots" is what a very dependable road-hockey-playing buddy of mine used to tell me over and over again.

Guess what. I held out. I jumped right in. I think the first episode I saw was the one where "they search for gold". It made no difference. Brilliance can be approached from any angle and any order.

My friend back in 1973 was right about one thing: The Gilligan's Island theme is great.


Note: CITS ("Crossroads Television System") here in the Toronto area is re-running Gilligan's Island, starting tonight at 7:30pm . It seems I will again revisit a certain "desert isle". And Lost will have to wait... perhaps to be lost at sea forever.

No comments: