Sunday, January 27, 2013

J.J. ABRAMS & STAR WARS? WHY?

As the headline said. I don't get it, to be perfectly honest. J.J. Abrams strikes me as a pretty simple, rather, unsophisticated guy. His Star Trek reboot from four years ago was a "big okay": There were good things (the actors playing the classic characters) and bad (way too many Star Wars-type idiotic space battles; lame and unnecessary villain).

Although: This, admittedly, will partly be a reboot, not just the opening volley in a new stream of Star Wars flicks. (In a sane world, Episodes 1 through 3 would be disregarded as 'canon'.)

Maybe the "big okay" director will be a good fit for a Star Wars movie, after all, with that universe's rather two-dimensional characters and unsophisticated plots (but not in a bad way, just befitting of the material). By the way, "convolution" does not necessarily mean "sophistication"; as so impeccably demonstrated by the SW prequel films. I'm hardly a fan of the franchise, even though I enjoyed Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back very much when they were first released, but I like to think I know what made the original trilogy work. Besides, I wasn't a little kid back in 1977.

Now that I'm tailing-off this posting I'm realizing I don't know what to think anymore, regarding more Star Wars movies. Hopefully Disney has an idea, but, in a few years hence will it be revealed that hiring Abrams was a matter of starting off on the wrong foot?....

No comments: