Tuesday, January 1, 2013

CHARLOTTE CHURCH - MUSIC

One lovely morning back in 2000AD, I, for some reason quite uncharacteristic of me, tuned in one of those morning ‘major network’ television programs. After minutes of staring at the box’s charged phosphor, something got my undivided attention. A little Welsh girl was introduced by the show’s humdrum host; the cheery guest stood with a serious-looking guy who was sitting at a small assembly of music-making apparatus.

“I didn’t get her name.”

The music started; the girl’s face beamed; she belted a tune; my world froze. The little lady sounded much older than what the CRT part of the television was telling me. The song, while it had a slight ‘manufactured’ tint, was uplifting enough. Miss Charlotte Church literally, and figuratively, ended the tune on a high note.

I ‘warped' to Sam the Record Man in downtown Toronto. (I may have travelled ‘sub-light’; I don’t remember.)

The song I remembered from the morning show was called “Just Wave Hello”, and it opened the album. I remember being a little disappointed at how the full orchestra -- of course there must be a full orchestra -- diffused Church’s voice on the song.

The CD contained the usual covers -- certainly for a voice calibrated as such.  There was Gershwin… lovely!

Time passed and I more or less had forgotten about that particular CD. It did not help that it was part of over 200 like jewel cases. The spine revealed “Charlotte Church”, but the turmoil which is my day-to-day existence dulls the notion of spinning any music album short of Richard Wagner.

Ten years later, and my opinion on Charlotte Church is still the same as it was: “Nice and pleasant.”

No comments: