Friday, January 18, 2013

REVIEW OF THE STAR TREK MUSIC BOX SET


"Mirror, mirror"... I mean, "Where No Man Has Gone Before". Alexander Courage's music sparkles, giving an extra creepiness when Gary Mitchell and Elizabeth Dehner consolidate their cosmic powers.



d'Artagnan... I mean, Mr. Sulu, is helped by Courage's swashbuckling music.


Film Music Magazine has reviewed La-La Land's 15-CD music box, Star Trek: The Original Series Soundtrack Collection. I met a friend for a coffee today who bought the super set, and I had to ask him what he thought; the answer was, "it's great". He is a soft-spoken guy, superlatives are fired rather quietly, if at all -- but I know him well enough to know when he's impressed.

One observation he made is that after listening to various cues, he realized that "they really don't do tv music of this quality anymore".

I don't consider myself much of a Star Trek fan (insert 'snickers' from friends of mine who know me too well) but I have point out and correct a mistake the writer made in the aforementioned review: Charles Napier does not sing 'space-hippy ditties' for "The Apple", but rather, for "The Way to Eden". (Clue: It's, "headin' out to Eden, yah brother"; not, "I wanna take a bite of that poisonous 'apple', yah brother".)

The reviewer is correct here, however: "... achieving a sense of epic adventure in the warp climax of The Naked Time or propulsive, whirling excitement for The Corbomite Maneuver's space chase."

Absolutely correct. Alexander Courage's score for "The Naked Time", as a whole, is potent (and dark!), but his piece for the episode's "warp climax" is superb -- both dramatic and exhilarating at the same time. Fred Steiner's classic "whirling" music for the space buoy sequence is frenetic and rousing. Camille Saint-Saens on acid!


The review in Film Music Magazine...
http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=10617

No comments: