Tuesday, July 17, 2007

ON A THEME

Something just came to mind: I watched a bit of the classic 1976 horror film, The Omen, on television last Saturday night. Reminded me how fine that picture is, especially Gilbert Taylor's 'drizzly' cinematography. What I didn't need reminding of was Jerry Goldsmith's superb and iconic music score. I do have this score both on LP record and CD but would always rather experience a movie's score with the movie. (Admittedly, Goldsmith's 'Omen' music is outstanding on its own... as music. This isn't often the case with film scores. I remember listening to Goldsmith's sequel score -- for that dastardly sequel movie, "Damien Omen II" -- a few years ago with a good friend of mine, and one who lives by the film score at times, and after the final scream from the music's chorus, "Santani!", my buddy, in his best sardonic voice said, "let's go beat up an old lady!")

The joke is that this score garnered Jerry Goldsmith his only Oscar. The man (genius) tapped into something for sure.

My point is: Buy the music or do the evil thing and download it or burn it for free. And after you listen to it, you might agree with my old song that Goldsmith should have written more music for the concert hall.

No comments: