Wednesday, July 11, 2007

WHAT TO DO ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

I remember first watching Doctor Who when I was very young. As a matter of fact, the first episode I remember watching was the first Dalek episode, "The Daleks" (also known as "The Dead Planet"). To be honest, with all due respects to Sam Kinison, this episode "scared the f___________k out of me!" I won't go into the imagery here, those little moments which 'impress' a young child.

Years later, in 1976, OECA (now more popularly known as TV Ontario) started the Jon Pertwee Doctor Who episodes. My first reaction as I saw the advertisements on the network promoting the show was one of tiny disappointment... "oh no, videotape", was my mental cry. Oh well, I did know the difference between film origination and that of electronic tape, but was willing to live with it. I enjoyed the show very much... lots of fun.

Here comes the new Who in 2005 -- March to be specific, and on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). Oh well, I did know the difference between good television and sub-par, especially when it comes to Doctor Who. My problems with the show took no time to formulate: Too many visual effects, too much talking (please, shut up!), crappy production design, and weak background music. I watched the first season sporadically but did notice that the same bleedin' space station appeared in two episodes in the first handful of shows, and I do mean 'handful'. Even characters started coming back within the first season... holy smokins. Can't you guys think of more stories? And what is it with so many Earth-based, I mean, London-based episodes? A lot of alien spaceships like to fly over the Thames -- just like Heinkel and Dornier bombers did during WW2.

Second season came and went without a blip on my 'scanner'. Some episode had lots and lots of computer generated special effects. (Lots of ways to not spend much money these days, there are.) David Tennant, unlike Chris Eccleston, does not seem believable as the famous 'Time Lord'.

Third season just came on and I admit I watched the first three shows. It is not getting better... it might be the worst it has been. Tennant doesn't believe. More Earth stuff and not exciting at that. One good joke in the 'Shakespeare episode', then the most recent show had lots of sky-cars flying over a modern metropolis but a lousy 'plot'... too many effects, too much talking, about nothing, and a phony, overly spiritual and dramatic ending accompanied by 'feature film' style over-the-top orchestral-sounding (and choral) music which crescendoed with this insincere and utterly soulless finale. (I really do miss those relatively quiet moments in the original Doctor Who show -- you know the kind -- where during the 16mm telecine inserts we see something rustling in the bushes as the audio track pumps out music rendered by a five-piece orchestra primarily made up of timpani, horn, clarinet, flute and bassoon. And this music is more effective than the more recent Doc's electro-synthetic and empty passages.)

Therefor I see no practical use for it... except to the die-hard fan.

As a teacher of mine said to me one day back in film school, with his wonderful Irish accent, "well, you can't win 'em all!"

2 comments:

DonaldAR said...

I remember Sarah the best. Nothing like a cute brunette with an English accent, eh wot?

Barry Smight said...

My own personal fave is Jo Grant (Jo Grawwnt).