Monday, July 30, 2007

AIRING TOM SNYDER

As soon as I fired up the computer this morning, and went 'online', the first headline that grabbed my attention was, "Film Director Ingmar Bergman Dies". The next headline was, "Tom Snyder Dies". I will need more time to collect my thoughts on the great Swedish film director but can reference Snyder now as I saw little of his shows.

The Tomorrow Show (with Tom Snyder) was something I first saw in TV Guide back the mid 1970s. It really caught my attention in 1976 when I saw this in said magazine: "(channel 17) 'Tomorrow'... The Star Trek phenomenon." I should mention that our television cable service did not carry PBS at that time. I was a little frustrated as I was an old Trekker, even then.

Years later, in 1995, a friend of mine gave me a VHS tape he had compiled of archived television shows. This Trek-themed Tomorrow episode was on the tape so I finally got a chance to watch it. (By this time, I was looking at the show as a historical document... my youth was in the past.) There was Tom Snyder in his flared pants. He was smoking a lot; you don't see that anymore. James Doohan, Walter Koenig, and Harlan Ellison were some of the guests. Harlan occasionally mocked the cast -- right to their faces -- by calling Star Trek "crap", or something to that effect. He was laughing as he dispensed this wisdom. Good 'ol Harlan! Superb writer he is. Snyder let this all happen and, as I remember it, broke out with that great laugh of his.

I was just speaking with a friend of mine a few minutes ago. He told me that Suspect Video (here in Toronto) has a DVD which contains four episodes of Tomorrow. This disc is in the music section of the store as the basic theme of the disc is 'Punk, and other such music' -- Snyder had various guests on from this movement.

This disc will soon be rented... and I should look for that VHS tape with the Tomorrow episode.

1 comment:

Greg Woods said...

I was more familiar with Tom Snyder's later show, "The Late Late Show", running from 1995 to 1999, which followed David Letterman. Your post reminded me that Harlan Ellison was a guest on this Snyder program as well, thus supporting the theory that the two were good friends. But of course, with Tom Snyder's demeanour, every guest could be his good friend. I caught one episode where Ellison talks candidly about his writer's block and his shelves upon shelves of books. But Tom Snyder was a class act.... truly one of the last of the great broadcasters who favoured content over gloss-- a supremely intelligent man and a marvellous human being.