Sunday, October 28, 2007

PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE

This is one of those titles that seemed to run in high rotation at my local cinema back in the mid-1970s. Along with Dillinger, The Panic in Needle Park, and Zabriske Point, was Phantom of the Paradise. Due to my terrifically nubile nature at the time, I would have been refused admission even if I had lined up for Phantom. (I did go to see Baby Blue Marine in 1976 at this same cinema and was admitted, for some reason.)

Outside of the obvious theatrics of Phantom of the Paradise, I might not have enjoyed it anyway; the jokes would have been over my head in addition to the reality that I wasn't much into rock music -- never have been, to any substantial degree. The trailer I saw in the theatre did make the film look interesting; some memorable imagery... the electric bolt, in particular.

Now however, meaning last night when I watched it on TVOntario's Saturday Night at the Movies, my tune has changed. I've seen bits and pieces over the years but never one screening head to toe.

Although it tanked in its original theatrical release in 1974, Phantom of the Paradise became a cult item in the years after; deservedly so. Perhaps it's take on Faust was not something that would have appealed to rock heads, anyway. And would not exactly draw them into the movie houses.

Great cast: William Finley is perfect as Winslow/The Phantom, as is Paul Williams as Swan, the creepiest and smarmiest little (and I do mean 'little') record producer one could, but would never want to, meet. (The real ones are even worse, I've heard.)

Jessica Harper plays her role of Phoenix, the lovely young woman who becomes the object of the Phantom's affections, and Swan's manipulations, with the right grade of naivety. Her battle, like so many of her kind, to become a big star is convincingly drawn.

She's a flower here.

My favourite character in Phantom, especially considering he has less screen time to do his work than does the main cast, would have to be Beef; played by Gerrit Graham with flamboyance abounding.

Paul Williams also wrote the songs for real, including the tunes he thieved as part of the plot-line. He found a fair bit of success writing songs for various musical groups including The Carpenters, Three Dog Night, and superstar Barbra Streisand.

Fair success indeed.

His songs here fit the bill as they are of the style you'd expect as being 'show' music. Like Andrew Lloyd Webber but without the thieving.

I forgot to mention that Brian De Palma directed this twisted, but in a fun way, musical thriller. The same Brian De Palma who in 1976 directed Carrie and, later, Dressed to Kill among other bloody thrillers. (Until I saw his name in the opening credits, I forgot he was behind this picture.)

There is the violence you would expect from a De Palma film; so I guess it's not much of a shocker.

No comments: