Sunday, October 14, 2007

CANDIDE

My CDs are stacked like pennies; on top of a tall bookcase; I am tall but that is no way to file discs. "What's this? I forgot I had this." (Arthur Bliss' Morning Heroes). What I did not forget I had, which is the reason why I was standing on an empty cardboard box as I reached with my eyes over the piece of furniture, is my copy of Leonard Bernstein's operetta, Candide. I used to play this disc an awful lot. While working as I did at one time in the photo arts, I liked to play this music as I worked. And as Barbara Cook would do, I would be singing along... or humming, at best.

Cut to years later, now, and I am in heaven once again. I will make sure this time that I file Candide right beside that other great mid-twentieth century orchestral/vocal work, Carmina Burana.

Leonard Bernstein said a funny thing about the master composer (and anti Semite, and racist, and an arrogant, pompous ass) Richard Wagner: "I despise him, but I despise him on my knees."

No comments: