Thursday, October 18, 2007

THE HOUR NOT

I support the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, if not with cash (I do through my taxes) then in spirit and tuning in. As a matter of fact when I look through the weekly Globe and Mail television listings, I scan across those boxes to see what is on the CBC and TVOntario, only, really. Our broadcaster, "The Mother Corp", really does try to do its job, even if it does lack leadership. It's a bitch...

How do you try and make everyone happy -- "I don't want my tax dollars going to a station I never watch!"... well, I feel sorry for you, Sir -- and fulfill a public role of tying all Canadians together from coast to coast -- "with technology today, I don't see how this is relevant anymore; that's the same argument I hear about the NFB"... you may have a point, Mame, but it doesn't necessarily make it so -- and forever have to fight the argument that you have to start making more drama and shows like them Americans make; you know the kind, those tv programs that people actually want to see -- "I like shows like The Fifth Estate, but I would rather watch my programs after I come home after a long day at work; shows like CSI "... sorry to hear that you feel you have to pop on the television so automatically, and drama is expensive to make -- and convince yourself that you are not, perhaps, losing an unwinnable war?

Which brings me to The Hour: I'm sure George Stroumboulopoulos is a nice enough guy, and I'm sure he WAS great as a popular (television) music journalist, but he is clearly not capable of carrying a coast to coast late night show. The man tries too hard to be funny (he's not a natural), hip (not necessary), and intelligent (I don't know the guy so I won't judge on the surface, but he seems to try so). He tends to fail on all counts. These guys are rare: Tom Snyder, Elwy Yost, Brian Linehan, Morton Shulman, Johnny Carson, Patrick Watson, and so on.

I do realize I'm comparing George to the best, but, as a producer, you must try and find and nurture the next versions of the above, and you have to know when to cut your losses, too. (Such a program can be nebulous... after all, Johnny Carson wasn't the from-square-one guy of The Tonight Show; he replaced a guy named Jack Paar.)

The guests on The Hour are, consistently, of interest. Basing the show here in Toronto provides for easy access to varied personalities; those residing, temporarily working, or just passing through the big smoke.

But you need some serious hardware in the Captain's seat.

And I understand that the ratings for The Hour are in the basement.

Yes, the competition is fierce in that time slot.

1 comment:

Jawsphobia said...

I have only seen clips of This Hour on Youtube, but I can watch them endlessly. I think the main point is that his guests open up to him. I see that they do, but it may be different in each interview. I think George has a non-threatening pressence and he may be able to land interviews that would be skittish around more overtly sharp hosts. It is hard to determine whether someone tries to be hip when he does have to at least be aware of guest background and context. I give him benefit of the doubt.

But at least you took a jab at CBC leadership. I know they don't have "Canada" in mind north of Steeles.